Part 3: Oops.

 Pax'Del hummed the dancing tune from the speakeasy, a happy, jolly tune as he walked home.   "Help for a veteran?" a voice called out from a dirty streetcorner.  Pax turned around and waved.

"I'm still in the service, friend.  Veteran of what campaign?" he asked the homeless fellow.

"D'dendrx five.  I lost my right arm during the Vol offensive." He vaguely waved a stump.

Pax, remembering the meal he had at the illegal speakeasy, palmed a ration coupon.  "Here, friend.  This one's on me.  Eat well tonight.  If you need anything, knock on my door.  I live just down the street.  I was in the Mobile Fleet on D'dendrx five.  I saw a lot of the aftermath of the Marine offensive."

"Thanks, sir!" The veteran gleamed, grinning.  

Pax was in a rare, good mood.  He had a good time.  He pushed on the control to open his front door, but it was already open.  His ears raised straight up in alarm.  "Zinn?!" he called out.

The lights in his home came on, and Karlyn Nex was sitting in the entryway.  "Your daughter is a genetic defective!  I cannot believe you hid this from us all this time.  She's been taken to one of the camps for THEM." he said, inflecting the last word with disgust.  "But that's not even why I'm here.  The Emperor has found out about your ilicit relationship with his handmaiden.  He's most displeased, and has ordered your arrest.  The collection of a genetic defective was only a bonus."  Karlyn sneered, and grinned.

"We were only discussing..."

"Blasphomy and sedition?  I have a recording of your conversation from the speakeasy owner.  You don't think we have the ilicit places monitored?  It's why we allow them to operate.  You should be smarter than that, Pax."

Pax growled softly, his vision going red with anger."

"You are going to come with me, Pax'Del.  Sedition is a high crime, and with the proof, we don't even need a trial.  Your comission in the military is immediately revoked.  This home is no longer yours, as it is only for members of the military.  Your possessions will be liquidated and sold to pay for your execution and trial, under law.  Your daughter..."

Karlyn laughed evilly

"Your daughter is quite beautiful, despite being a genetic defective.  Perhaps she will know the pleasures of my company instead of death in a camp."

Pax roared in anger.  Karlyn Nex unholstered his stunner and shot Pax squarely in the torso.  He fell like a limp ragdoll.

"Thank you, Pax.  I wanted an excuse to shoot you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raidne (Part III)

Part 1: Discovered

They do WHAT?