Part 2: Only Bad Options

 Pax'Del stepped off his ship at the old dockyards.  The Emperor's handmaiden was waiting for him.

"How's The Emperor today?  Is he remotely lucid at all?"

Sher'Dei stifled a laugh.  "Sort of.  He thinks it's 20 cycles ago during the conquest of the Deri.  He asked about the plans to take their Homeworld.

Pax sighed.  "The backwoods system that the civil star patrol had cut around has been settled by an unknown intelligence.  They have weapons I've never seen before, but my importantly, they have more food growing on that planet than the homeworld of the Empire has seen in elevens of years.  Not to mention worlds like this one.  I was only able to do some basic research before they discovered me, but from what little I found, they grow a crop not unlike Keln."

Sher'Dei gasped in amazement.  "I have not had fresh Keln in many years.  I do not even think the Emperor remembers what it tastes like.  I certainly don't, and I am not in mental decline like he is."

"Me either.  I do not know if I want to prostrate myself to the invaders, or destroy them for the honor of my ancestors." Pax said, dangerously.

Sher waved her arms, motioning for quiet.  "You know blasphemy like that is a crime!"

"Are you going to tell on me?"

She smiled, and kissed his furry snout gently.

"No.  Not THIS time at least.  But please, don't do anything that will get you thrown out of the military.  You are one of the few warleaders left with any common sense."

"That scares me, too.  Pax said.  "I want to say hello to my daughter, but we need to talk, later.  Are you free tonight?"

Sher smiled in that way that secretly melted his hearts.  "I can make time for you tonight.  The Emperor's bedtime is an hour before sunset.  MY children go to bed later!  I should be able to meet you for Nightmeal at our normal place?"

"Good.  The conversation should be mostly private.  I have more blasphemy to discuss."


Pax'Del walked in the hot suns in his military uniform home.  The pedicabs would be free to a member of the military, but he would prefer the drivers made actual money, what little of it they could.  Rations were cut again last week, as more crops were failing.

Reaching home, he unlocked the door to his small apartment, and walked inside.  He saw his daughter, Zinn'Del reading. 

"Hello, daughter!" he said, brightly.  She did not respond.  He sighed, and walked over to her, waving his hand in front of her book.

"Sorry, father!" she said sheepishly.  "I left my hearing prosthetic on last night and the power cell is dead.  I cannot hear you!"

Pax switched to the forbidden hand signal language the old monks had taught them.

"You need to be more careful, daughter!" he signed. "Power cells are very difficult to get.  I will see the forbidden merchants tonight to see if I can get you another one.  Please be more careful in the future."

Zinn nodded.  "Are you going to see HER again tonight?" She grinned

"Yes.  But it's totally work-related.  I need to discuss things before meeting with The Emperor tomorrow."

"You are going to discuss them over drinks and you are going to try and dance with her again, aren't you?" her grin widened.

"That was the alcohol, and the last thing I need is The Emperor executing me for cavorting with his handmaiden!"  Pax could feel the temperature beneath his fur rise in embarrassment.

"She's really pretty, and I think she likes you too!"  Zinn laughed mischievously

"You are terrible.  Go wash up and finish your homework.  I need to get ready for nightmeal."

"Enjoy your date!" Zinn laughed squeakily

 

 "So you think The Emperor will call for a conquest of the interlopers then?" Del asked, as the waiter brought more intoxicating drinks.

"All he knows is war and conquest.  That's all he was ever good at, before his old age declined his faculties.  He was never good at running anything other than a battle.  My question is, as a Warleader, why would you NOT want conquest?  Glory for the Empire is what all warleaders wish for, right?"

Pax's temperature rose slightly.  "I told you, I'm not like that."

"I'm joking with you!" Shar said. "Don't be so serious!"

"When the sensors showed me how much food was growing on that re-engineered moon, I was in awe of the interlopers, if I can be honest.  We have forgotten how to grow crops.  We have forgotten how to raise cattle, and feed ourselves.  All we make is war.  Our citizens are starving, and the OLD warleaders, like my ancestors, wished to care for the well-being of the Empire as a whole.  Not just conquer more planets.  Ancestors forgive me, but I want to prostrate myself before the interlopers, and beg them to help us eat.  Isn't that shameful?"

"Then why don't you?" Shar said.

"You can't be serious.  How would I?"

"You're the warleader.  You're supposed to figure out how to do these things.  I am but a simple handmaiden."

"You were NEVER just a simple handmaiden, Shar.  You underestimate yourself."

She stammered, embarassed.  "Thank you.  But seriously.  Such thoughts are blasphemes.   Be careful who you share them with."

"What, that you are more than just a handmaiden, or that I wish to prostrate myself before my opponents?"

"Both!" she laughed. "You will figure something out.  I hope.  Nightmeals with you here are nice, but neither of us can afford them.

The band at the back of the illegal restaurant began playing a tune.  Pax smiled, and Sher'Dei offered him her hand, as they walked to the dance floor. 


Pax walked down the deserted alley, and knocked rhythmically on what seemed to be a bare wall.

The wall beeped in response.

Pax knocked a second rhythm on the wall, and it slid open.

"Ah ha!  It is my favorite customer, Pax'Del!" the old smuggler laughed.

"Everyone is your favorite customer." Del said.

"Everyone that PAYS me is my favorite customer!" the smuggler laughed, harder.  "What bit of illegal merchandise can i get for you today, my good friend?"

"I need a type-ZX powercell."

"Your daughter ran down her prosthetic again?  It'd be a shame if she was without those powercells, if her school found out she cannot hear, she'd lose her rations, and you'd be in trouble for hiding it, now wouldn't you!"

"How much?" Pax asked, sternly.

"Double the usual price.  If you want them fully charged, this time!" The smuggler laughed.  "Inflation is not a good thing!"

Pax wanted to punch him.  He pulled out the coins and laid them out on the counter.

"One type-ZX powercell. FULLY CHARGED this time!  IS there anything else I can get for you?"

Pax was about to say no, but he had the wildest inspired idea.

"How about a shuttle with jump drive, and a crew?  I can get you more Keln than you've ever seen in payment."

The smuggler stopped laughing.

"That is not funny, mister Pax'Del.  I used to eat boiled Keln when I was a little boy.  It was my favorite meal.

"I'm serious.  But it'll be dangerous."

The smuggler stood up straight.  His stomach audibly growled.

"What kind of crew?"

"A telepath, preferably a languiphile, and some trustworthy sentries.  Security droids will do, but I prefer trustworthy mercenaries."

"You are serious!  I will make some inqueries.  Come back tomorrow night.  I'm still charging you for the power cells."


Karlyn Nex woke The Emperor as the moons were high in the dark sky.

"My Emperor, my spies have returned.  Pax met with your handmaiden again.  They are planning something, I am sure of it."

"Have him arrested.  Sneaking around with my Zeena is crime enough for execution!"

Karlyn decided not to mention that Zeena died 20 cycles ago, and his current handmaiden's name was Sher'Dei.


---


Rogers was on Hooston, working with the petrochemical engineers to increase fuel drilling output when the President of the United Moons of Marfa called the AI on his emergency line.

"Rogers, I need you to stop what your doing when the incoming shuttle from Bonum arrives.  It's got some interesting parts I need you to look at."

"Does it have to do with the alien invasion you're trying to keep quiet?" the AI asked.

"Damm, robot, keep that quiet.  The last thing I need is panic."

"Please do not call me a robot.  It distresses me to be thought of as such.  I am an artificial intelligence."

"Whatever, Rogers.  Please look at the parts.  There are several questions that the techs here have."

"Autrey has already let me know what is needed.  He is a very good AI, but is not as well versed in engineering as I am.  Doing this will put fuel drilling further behind schedule.  I don't want to hear about how badly you need more fuel if I'm working on your alien toys."

"Whatever, Rogers.  Just get it done.  If we are attacked by aliens, fuel output won't matter."

"I see.  That makes sense.  I will look at the parts when the shuttle arrives."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raidne (Part III)

Part 1: Discovered

They do WHAT?